The class is entirely online with an NJIT instructor. It teaches entrepreneurs and the computing literate what they need to know to design and implement iPhone and iPod Touch software using the Apple Software Development Kit environment. Students learn how to create and deploy iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad applications on the software simulator and hardware devices.
Mac Lab availability offers students the ability to work in a Macintosh computer lab at NJIT and use the tools provided to them by the Apple/NJIT University Developer Portal to complete class assignments and projects.
Mac Lab availability offers up to 6 hours of computer lab time each week for enrolled students in addition to the online class materials.
Students practice the creation of Apple AppStore compliant apps so that they can potentially be offered by Apple as paid, downloadable commercial software packages. Currently, Apple pays accepted developers of iPhone and iPod apps 70% of the revenue generated. The New York Times has dubbed this as "The iPhone Gold Rush" in an article appearing on April 5, 2009. The article highlights the successes of individuals, who already possessed the kind of information which this course will teach, and points out that others could benefit as well from this Apple opportunity if they obtain the proper training.
General Course Information
- Course Length: 30 hours total instruction over 8 weeks
- Format: Online, non-credit with instruction
- Cost: $1,050 (includes student registration in the Apple Developer portal)*
- Lab availability: Fall and Spring Semester: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM Fridays
Registration deadline: First Day of Class
- Earns: Certificate of Completion from New Jersey Institute of Technology and 3 Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
- Requirements: A dial-up or broad-band connection to the internet, and:
- Access to Macintosh computer capable of running the latest iPhone Software Development Kit, (Hybrid class students may use the available Macintosh computer Lab at NJIT during scheduled times) an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Software Emulators are not supported.
- Purchase of the book Beginning iPhone 6 Development ($39.99 (plus s + h)
Information is also available via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.